Monday, November 22, 2010

The Avengers: Pretty Girls, Action & Cool Cars

I loved The Avengers. The British program was shown on American television from about 1965 through 1969 and was targeted at the Man from U.N.C.L.E. and I Spy crowd. Action shows were in demand and The Avengers fit right in. It was one of my favorite television shows in my pre-teen years. Diana Rigg as Emma Peel checked all the right boxes for me, Patrick Macnee as John Steed was the personification of cool in a bowler hat and the cars - oh, the cars. 

That was my first exposure to British cars from what I consider to be their golden age. Blower Bentleys, Lotus', and other exotics flashed on the screen constantly to reinforce in my mind that there were choices other than the barges from Detroit.

Now, I've been told that I'm pretty pathetic when the subject of my interest in cars comes up, but there's one individual out there sadder than me. A gentleman named David K. Smith runs a web site dedicated to all things Avengers. Called The Avengers Forever, the site is a labor of love. In addition to background information about the show, he has listed every car in every episode - with its' registration number -  and has included a photo of it.

You know you want to visit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment