Friday, June 10, 2011

A Henry Manney Treasure Trove

Photo by Patrick Manney- All Rights Reserved
It's no secret that I am a huge fan of the wit and wisdom of motorsports and automotive writer Henry N. Manney, III. I've lamented in these humble scribblings of how little there was to be found on the Internet about "Our Friend", but I think I've found the mother lode.

Henry and Anne Manney's son, Patrick, has scanned and uploaded a trove of family photos to a Flicker account and I have to admit, I spent about 45 minutes going through them. Now, not all of them are of Henry the Third - most of them are of family and friends with a few letters thrown in - but they are a moving look at the Manney family's life in Southern California. 

There are numerous photos of Anne in her days as a ballerina in Paris and a lot of old carte de visites of what I assume are ancestors of the family, but the most endearing ones are of the family looking over their new home in Corona Del Mar, California.

If you were a reader of Road & Track 'back in the day' take a few minutes to check out this delightful photo collection

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed Henry’s writing in Road & Track, second only to Peter Eagan’s! Readers, like me, who lived far away from any sports car action and were in their formative, adolescent years had the best seat available to view races, see new car introductions, feel road tests, get to know drivers and take road trips. Henry was my guide not only through words, but also with pictures! To this day three of Henry’s prints hang in my auto “man cave”! Henry Manney, III took me everywhere and captured the moment in his words and pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment