Friday, April 10, 2009

This is My MGB


I know most of you have never seen it - especially since I took delivery of the Mini almost three years ago. It's been in the garage most of the time because the 'new' had not yet worn off the Mini and the 'B had a niggling ignition problem - the classic 'now you see it, now you don't' sort of thing. I couldn't figure it out and Mike Darby never experienced it when I took it in to him for a look see. I could drive it for days and never have a problem. Then, it would exhibit symptoms of a failing coil, except the car would cut out like all power was being chopped. Richard Cunningham loaned me a brand new coil to try - it didn't help. Mike Darby even brought a sack of used but serviceable coils to try as well.

Since the points and condenser were at least 11 years old I figured now would be good time to install the Pertronix ignition that I heard so many good things about. I ordered the kit and let it sit on my workbench for about three months. Even a great how-to article in the MGB DRIVER magazine failed to get me moving.

I had a day off work and Richard offered to give me a hand with the Pertronix installation. It took all of 20 minutes - even with me dropping small pieces - to install. The car fired up and ran beautifully once the rats nest of wiring under my hood was sorted. With Richard in a chase car, we drove from Spanish Fort to Pelican Point and then to Silver Hill to pop in on Mike's shop. Mike looked the installation over and gave it a quick flash with the timing light to set the timing. Everything is spot on.

I drove on home to Spanish Fort with nary a hiccup. It is the opinion of the two experts mentioned above that a dodgy splice in said rats nest may be to blame - one of the spliced wires actually came apart during the Pertronix install.

Suffice it to say that I'm still in love with the 'B. It was my first British car and first convertable. If you see an old guy with a big smile in a light yellow MGB, give a wave!

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully we'll see a lot more of it on the road this summer. Yesterday was a blast!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment