When one's hobby is old cars an occasional visit to a scrapyard is part of the experience. Whether the need is a part no longer made or to just find a bargain, today's scrapyard (excuse me, automotive recycling center) is the place to find them. The challenge is to find the car that can yield the part you're looking for. Trouble is, unless you go often you will never know what's on the yard. If you're a scrapyard neophyte, South Alabama British Car Club has planned the activity to solve that problem.
Join us Saturday, February 23rd for SABCC's scrapyard crawl. Here's the schedule:
- 8:30 AM - Meet at Golden Corral at 5327 Halls Mill Road in Tillman's Corner for an extended Mugs & Motors - Coffee and Conversation for Motoring Enthusiasts.
- 9:30 AM - Depart for Barry's U-Pull-It in Theodore where admission is just one dollar.
- 11:15 AM - Depart for Pull-A-Part in Mobile located on DeSirrah Drive near Moffatt Road and I65. Admission here is two dollars.
- 1:16 PM - Depart for lunch at Dreamland Bar B Que on Old Shell Road.
- The yards are covered in largish gravel so wear comfortable shoes and prepare to walk some distance from the gate to any area you might want to check out.
- Bring a few handtools along. You might find something that you need during the tour.
- If you have a spouse that enjoys the fine dining portion of the tour but not necessarily the scrapyard part of it, hitch a ride with a fellow SABCC'er and ask your significant other to meet up with you when the group heads out to lunch.