Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Not All Finds Are in Barns

Barn find.  Are you tired of hearing that term? In the last few years, a frenzy has been whipped up over interesting old cars allegedly found in barns. Hardly a (televised) auction passes that there are not at least a couple of  "barn find" headliners. 
Courtesy barnfinds.com

Spurred on by these big dollar auctions and "... In the Barn"  books by Tom Cotter, many casual auto enthusiasts have concluded that finding a car covered in dust inside an outbuilding is their key to instant riches. While some lucky people have had their ticket punched, most go away disappointed but wiser for the experience.

It was inevitable that a web site dedicated to barn finds would appear and it has done so in the form of barnfinds.com. The site depends largely on submissions by readers and not all qualify as barn finds. I think I even saw the term "carport find" in one of the posts.

The vehicles are certainly interesting in that there is something for everyone there. Naturally, I had to browse the British section and came away impressed with the variety. I haven't seen a Berkeley for sale in a while, but one was there.

In some instances, the site is reminiscent of the older, more established Bring A Trailer web site but that certainly won't keep me from looking in on it frequently.

1 comment:

  1. I've been following the Barn Finds group on G+ for the last, oh, 6 months or so. There are some interesting items popping up, but I have my own "barn find" in the garage in the shape of my '71 MGB GT that hasn't seen the road in 12 years, so I don't really need a new one.

    Overall, I prefer the cars on Bring A Trailer, at least for the quality of the comments (though I suspect there's a great amount of crossover).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment